Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Put A Smile On.

I had a perspective changing moment today.

I'm getting out of the car with my mom after saying how I was just sick and tired of being involved in a whole lot of drama that I shouldn't even be in when a little old man starts walking up my driveway.

"Hello ladies, how are you doing this fine day?" He said.

This old man began to talk to us, and as he starts talking, he brings out a little box full of kitchen knives. He starts giving us the door-to-door shpeil talking about these knives. As he finishes up telling us about the knives he states,

"I'm 79 years old, so my hearing's not going well, but I'm just selling these because I have to keep working. I can't get my retirement yet."

Needless to say, we bought one.
But, my mom and I both sat there...almost speechless really. And then I came to this realization.

How small are my problems compared to others, seriously? This man could barely walk or hear, and he was selling knives to scrape up some more money. To LIVE. I felt like such a little brat that I'd even been complaining about miniscule, stupid things.

So I made a resolution.
Everytime I feel like saying something or complaining about something now, I'm going to think of that old man. I'm going to grow up, stop whining and just THINK.

Think of how very blessed I am to live the life I do.
And put a smile on while I do it.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment